A Taste For History D.A.R. 125th Celebration & Fundraiser
The Mecklenburg Chapter of The Daughters of the American Revolution was founded on September 27, 1898. As the "Mother Chapter" of the state, we will also celebrate the 125th Anniversary of DAR in North Carolina. We will use this occasion to raise funds to repair and restore the kitchen at the 1774 Hezekiah Alexander Rock House located on the grounds of The Charlotte Museum of History.
To raise funds to restore the kitchen, Mecklenburg Chapter is holding “A TASTE FOR HISTORY” at The Charlotte Museum of History on September 29, 2023, at 6:30 PM. Through contributions, ticket sales, a live auction, a silent auction, and other activities, our goal is to raise funds to aid in the restoration, estimated at $50,000.
The Charlotte Museum of History receives no regular government support. It depends on entry fees, Museum memberships, program and event revenue, grants, and private donations to operate and fulfill its mission to “create common ground through education and inclusive storytelling.” https://charlottemuseum.org/
YOUR $75 TICKET INCLUDES:
Hezekiah Alexander was a signer of the Mecklenburg Declaration of Independence and the Mecklenburg Resolves. He was a county magistrate and community leader.
The Rock House was built in 1774 on a 600-acre plantation and is the oldest surviving house in Mecklenburg County. Enslaved men and women helped build the house and outbuildings, including the kitchen. As was common in colonial times, the kitchen was built removed from the main house due to the threat of fire and because it was the domain of the enslaved workers. The Alexander kitchen is recorded as having burned at least twice.
Hezekiah and Mary Alexander raised 10 children in the home. Records indicate at least 17 enslaved people lived on the property during Hezekiah Alexander’s life. Their labors ensured that the plantation flourished.
In the late 1940s, the 1774 Hezekiah Alexander Rock House was donated to the Methodist Association. Mecklenburg Chapter, along with 6 other local chapters, leased the house and began raising funds to repair and restore the Revolutionary-Era structure. During that time, a reproduction log kitchen house was built around the original hearth.
In 1969, the seven chapters helped create the Hezekiah Alexander Foundation, Inc. This organization later became the Charlotte Museum of History, constructing the original museum building in 1976 to be the steward of the Rock House, outbuildings, and grounds. The original building was later replaced by the current Charlotte Museum of History building in the 1990s, furthering their mission to save and share Charlotte's history.
*This event is hosted by the DAR.