Choose your own adventure this summer and bring your students and campers to The Charlotte Museum of History. Explore the Queen City’s colonial and revolutionary past while learning about all the people who helped build the Queen City we see today.
Scheduling Your Visit
We can schedule your visit Tuesday through Saturday from 9:00 a.m. until 5:00 p.m. We deliver most programs on-site at the Charlotte Museum of History but can also travel to your school or organization for an additional fee. Need a program delivered outside of our standard hours? Let’s talk about it!
A minimum of ten (10) participants are required per program. Not part of a summer camp? No problem. As long as you meet the minimum participant requirement, we are happy to arrange a program for informal groups as well. Please note, all students must be accompanied by a parent or guardian if they are not attending a program booked by an educational intuition.
For additional information about any of the programs listed below, please email K-12 Education Specialist Lauren Wallace at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 704-568-1774. To schedule your visit, please complete our Summer Trip Request Form.
Want to Know More?
Please click here to read the answers to our frequently asked questions.
Finding the Right Trip for Your Students
The Museum offers two (2) programs for our summer audiences depending on your needs. Each program can be adjusted to serve audiences that include multiple learning levels. Please use the descriptions below to help determine the program that is right for you. To schedule your visit, please complete our Summer Trip Request Form.
Guided Tour of the Historic Homesite
The city of Charlotte was founded 250 years ago and since then millions have called the Queen City home. But what was it like to live here in Mecklenburg County when Charlotte was just a small village surrounded by farmland and wild woods? Join the Charlotte Museum of History to travel back to Colonial Charlotte and see the spaces, touch the objects, and hear the sounds of the past. Over the course of this two (2) hour program, students tour the historic Hezekiah Alexander Home Site while learning about the people who lived here 250 years ago.
- Tour the 1774 Rock House and learn about the man who helped create the state of North Carolina as well as the other men, women, children, and enslaved people who called the Rock House home.
- Explore a colonial kitchen and learn about the different foods each culture contributed to the Carolina Backcountry.
- Visit a colonial store to learn how colonists used their natural resources and bartering in order to make a living.
Price: $6/participant, $5/adult
Time: 2 hours
Location: At the Charlotte Museum of History
Into the Hornet’s Nest
In 1780, General Cornwallis, the leader of the British, came marching into Charlotte and encountered a hornet’s nest of rebellion. Join the Museum this summer and enter into the hornet’s nest to explore the Queen City’s colonial and revolutionary past. In this two (2) hour program, students of all ages will learn about all the people who called Charlotte home for the last 250 years
- Tour the 1774 Rock House and learn about the men, women, children, and enslaved people who called the Rock House home.
- Explore a colonial kitchen and learn about the different foods each culture contributed to the Carolina Backcountry as well as the science of colonial cooking.
- Visit the Springhouse to learn about water and early food preservation techniques.
Choose two (2) of the four (4) hands-on activities complete with souvenirs for your students or campers to bring home.
- Catawba Inspired Pottery
- Forgotten Skills of the Carolina Backcountry: Sewing, Weaving, & Other Textile Skills (recommended audience: 9 years and above)
- Becoming a Naturalist: The Natural Environment of the Colonial Backcountry
- Music of the Carolina Backcountry (recommended audience: 8 years and under)
Price: $10/participant, $5/adult
Time: 2 hours
Location: At the Charlotte Museum of History; at your school or organization ($50-$100 offsite setup fee depending on location)